Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Wedding and a Funeral

I had good intentions. I had written several posts that I was going to slip in during my absence. I brought some photos that would have cleverly juxtaposed with scenes here that I planned to post, too. That was before I left Italy.

While our primary purpose in coming to the US was to attend a wedding, we ended up also attending a funeral. My beloved grandmother passed away on June 5.

I was blessed to spend time with her before she died, to see her and let her know how much I loved her. She was much declined but still quintessentially Grams, and being with her before she died set my mind very much at peace. I had a little time to adjust to the thought of life without her here. I was very close with her and already miss her tremendously.

I've written about Grams several times before, and I will write more about her when I've had time to process it all and gather my thoughts. It's been a whirlwind of activity with far-flung family members arriving and departing.

We leave this evening to fly back to Italia. I'm exhausted and drained emotionally. It will be a few days before I get reacclimated to my life, renewed and readjusted to the European time zone. I'll be back in the nest again soon, but I also need to get over the nasty cold I'm fighting and get caught up on sleep before returning to the blog.

Until then, I want to share this poem I found among my grandma's clippings. It sums up her life (and life philosophy) beautifully.

CHARITY
Do something today to bring gladness
To someone whose pleasures are few
Do something to drive off sadness-
Or cause someone's dreams to come true.
Find time for a neighborly greeting
And time to delight an old friend;
Remember-the years are fleeting
And life's latest day will soon end.
Do something today that tomorrow
Will prove to be really worthwhile;
Help someone to conquer sorrow
And greet the new dawn with a smile.
for only through kindness and giving
Of service and friendship and cheer,
We learn the pure joy of living
And find heaven's happiness here.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Valerie, I am so very sorry to hear about your grandmother. The poem is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Valerie - so sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing. What a blessing that you were there to see her one last time.

Safe travels home.

Linda

erin said...

Oh Valerie,
I'm so sorry to hear about your nonna, but so glad that you were able to see her and then be there with your family. I'm sure being home in Italy will help renew your spirit.

Anonymous said...

Valerie,
We're so sorry to hear the news about your nonna. How blessed you are that she waited for you, to see you one more time. Benvenuti a casa!!

Anonymous said...

Valerie-my heart goes out to you. I'm glad that you were able to spend time with your grandmother. Thank you for sharing that beautiful poem.

Anonymous said...

From the stories I have heard about your Grandma, the poem fits her perfect. I'm so glad you were able to spend time with her.

Eryn said...

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family through this hard time.

i so much enjoy reading about "Grams." I remember leaving a comment on one of your older posts about how much she really reminds me of my "Nannie."

Take care!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

Thank you for sharing that gorgeous poem.

Texas Espresso said...

Valerie - I'm so sorry about your grandmother though I am so glad you got to see her one last time =) Though I know you will miss her terribly, what a blessing to have such a wonderful person in your life for so many years.

much love

Valerie said...

Thank you all for your kind words of condolence. It means so much to have received your sweet words and some also sent wonderful emails. I appreciate it!

I'm back home and trying to get caught up on things. I'll be back in blog-land soon!

The Passionate Palate said...

Valerie - I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing. That "Charity" poem is absolutely beautiful. She must have been a wonderful woman.

Anonymous said...

Valerie,
Your words are lovely, and capture Mom and her life so perfectly.

It's a beautiful tribute from a beautiful woman, who is much like her.

Thank You!