Saturday, January 05, 2008

Here We Go Again

I have come down with another cold. If you're keeping count, this is the sixth since summer. I have never spent so much time in the sick bed in my life. It's getting kinda old. Not having regular water service has certainly impacted the spread of cold and flu around here, since people can't wash their hands with normal regularity.

The "upside" of being sick in bed is that while drowsing away yesterday afternoon I had my first dream in Italian. I started speaking English and then remembered that I lived in Italy and should be therefore speaking Italian, in which the rest of the dream was conducted. Finalmente! I've actually not dreamed very much while living here, a marked drop from my nocturnal state in NM, partly because my sleep is constantly disturbed by the psycho neighbors. I hope this will change when we pack up and change houses after our return from the US Tour.

Because I've been too stuffy- and foggy-headed to compose decent prose I'll refer you to the December article in my monthly column, Living Slow in Italy, The Three Ps of Natale. What's that you say? You didn't know I have been penning a column for Slow Travel for more than a year? Well, you've been missing out! You can catch up by reading the archives.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you're up and about real soon. Chicken soup, chicken soup, chicken soup :)Oh yeah..and Gatorade.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Oh I hope you're feeling better!

I personally think part of it is that your body just isn't used to *these* germs--I find that I've gotten sick much more easily here than in America. I'm hoping that'll change any year now....

And I also hope you have water!

Beatriz Macias said...

I have the greatest remedy for your cold! Take a panettone, drench it in prosecco and eat as much as needed! I hope you are feeling better.
Now that you made me laugh hard with your article in slow travel. Very good.
Thanks for posting all our blogs in your page, I have seen more people visiting my blog because of it. Thanks for the blog love.

Valerie said...

Maryann - took your advice and made some for dinner last night. Would have been really great if I'd had some green chile to put it in.

Sognatrice - that is what I suspected...mutant germs with thousands of years of adaptation strength going for them.

Beatriz - cattiva! I'm definitely sooo over the panettone for the yaer. I did make a vin brule which tasted good. Very glad to hear you're getting some new visitors!